Monday, October 08, 2007

The Unveiling of my Project!


Finally, the unveiling of my life for the past few months! Before I even get into details, I’ve become really emotional about this project because it has such amazing implications in Mali and throughout Africa. I’m really proud to have been part of it and I’m really happy to share it with all of you. So, drum roll please…I’ve been working with Hallmark Greeting Cards and Bono’s Product Red to help Malians produce a handbag made of local materials for sale in Hallmark stores. Bags hit stores TODAY!

Below you’ll find The Story of Bogolan Bags in Mali and The Economic Impact on Mali. Read them both and check out the photos because it’s all very exciting. It’s been my life – inside and out – since I moved here in May and it’s been stressful but amazing. First of all, for Hallmark to even come to Mali – third least developed country in the world – is a huge step. Hallmark representatives came three times, once with an English NGO called AfricaNow who conducted a labor assessment to ensure fair labor standards and another time with an amazing videographer named Nicole who shot bogolan for a week in order for Hallmark to put a video together about that (website forthcoming). Hallmark has been nothing but a pleasure to work with, but the stress came in trying to act as the intermediary between Hallmark and Malian producers. For me, it was a crash course in Business Management and honestly, I’m probably more than half way to getting my MBA. I sacrificed having the “normal” Peace Corps experience of sitting around in village and reading or traveling around to visit friends. My friends never saw me, but always knew where I was.

One of the most exciting parts about this all is that my friends and family (and American consumers) get to see the fruits of my – and my Malian counterpart’s – labor. It’s so rare for a Peace Corps project to hit American soil and for our friends and family to really understand what we’re working on. My project is tangible for each and every one of you. Though you’d never be able to understand the process and every drop of sweat that went in to it, I’m doing my best to paint you a picture and I hope that you can appreciate it all.

Now, I’m not asking you all to rush to your closest Hallmark store to buy a bag. But, it is Columbus Day and most of you have the day off and it would mean so much to me and to my team here at Farafina Tigne if you at least checked them out. They aren’t going to every single Hallmark store, but there are close to 3,500 stores, so there’s a good chance it’ll go to yours! There are a limited number of bags for these 3,500 stores, but I do know that they're supposed to be around until March - in theory. I know a lot of you are in DC, and they’re only at the store at L’Enfant Plaza, but they’re also in Bethesda, Arlington, Alexandria and around. Go, right now! Here are the two designs that we made at Farafina Tigne:


I would love to hear from you about what you think. Anyone who wants to take photos, I would welcome that with open arms too. I’ve worked on the production side of it and I would love to see the publicity and marketing. Speaking of that, the bags will be on the Rachel Ray Show Friday, October 12. So, tune in, tape it, do whatever you have to, but watch it! They may also be promoted on The Today Show and Good Morning America and the video that Nicole took of bogolan here may be used. This means that my interview could be on TV (though, let’s not hold our breaths). Trust me, you’ll be the first to know when and where to tune in to check it out.

So, like I said, GO TO HALLMARK RIGHT NOW and check the bags out. I can’t wait to hear from you all!