Monday, October 15, 2007

Life and Death – Fatoumata and Sida

*Note: Despite being really excited about Hallmark and bogolan, I couldn't wait to post this. Continue below for bogolan information.

About a month ago, I got a phone call from someone in Douentza telling me that my host Mom had given birth. I was so excited but I was so busy with Hallmark that I couldn’t go for the baptism and to visit. I sent some money but I was really excited when Peace Corps was headed out to Douentza to visit the new volunteers because I hopped a ride with them. On Wednesday, October 3, I headed out to Douentza with gifts in hand. I got to see my new baby sister, who incidentally was named after me, and she is gorgeous!


Baby Fatoumata.


It was hot, she was tired.


Precious, tiny, little feet!


I saw Umu and the rest of the gang, and I got some good home cookin’ and it was a great day. I came back to Sevaré the same day, despite Umu wanting me to stay the night. I plan on going back to visit and see everyone, but with being in the middle of projects I just can’t right now.

Then Monday, October 8, I got a phone call from the volunteer who replaced me in Douentza. He lives at my house and with Umu and called with really bad news. He said he didn’t know what happened but that my host sister died. I immediately thought it was Fatoumata because it’s so easy for babies here to die. But he told me it was Sida, the 5 year old, not Fatoumata. I was devastated. I love that little girl. She’s so beautiful and full of life and had such an energy about her that I couldn’t believe it. I talked to Umu and she was just so matter of fact, “Fatumata, Sida is dead.” There wasn’t any sadness in her voice, nor did it sound like she had been crying or that it had even taken a toll on her. Life and death here are just so different. We think that Sida had malaria, but all Umu said was that she had a fever in the morning and died by the afternoon. So, with one new life, someone has to die also. It’s tough when those people are close to you.

So, in an effort to honor Sida and show her off to everyone, here are some photos I’ve taken of her.

Sida washing dishes.

Being hesitant of the camera.


Her and that sassy attitude. Has 'model' written all over it, doesn't it?



After crying, trying to calm down inside of her house.


Mango eating. Food pictures are the best!


Standing with her brothers, Hassin and Hama.


The last day that I saw her, she wasn't sad or sick - despite how she looks - and we had a great time.

I'll miss you, Sida.